SEELANGS Administrivia - Guideline Reminder

Alex Rudd AHRJJ at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Sun Feb 24 18:40:16 UTC 2002

Dear SEELangers,

Many of you are subscribed to the AATSEEL Newsletter.  Accordingly,
it was not unreasonable or inappropriate for Jerry Ervin to inquire
here into whether anyone had yet received the latest issue.

However, please note that Jerry is the only one who was asking the
question and Jerry is the only one whom your responses may benefit.
Accordingly, you should not be sending your replies back to the list.

Here's an excerpt from the SEELANGS Welcome message:

--- Begin ---

Personal Replies

Example:  SCAN SEELANGS Smith

VERY IMPORTANT:  When you just use the Reply feature of your e-mail
program while reading a SEELANGS post, your reply is directed back
to SEELANGS, *not* to the person who posted.  Your failure to
realize this fact is what gets most people in trouble when it comes
to sending personal replies to the list address.

--- End ---

Please, remain cognizant of where your replies are directed
and where they ought to be directed.

Because SEELANGS is a discussion list, and because the aim is to
encourage discussion, the list is configured such that replies to
posted messages are sent back to the entire list.  If you know how
to read a mail header, you'll note that the "Reply-To:" field in
most SEELANGS posts contains the list address, and that's the
mechanism used to define the default "Reply-To:" destination.

However, just for future reference, if you should ever post a
message to SEELANGS and wish for replies to be sent directly back
to you, rather than to the list, then you can override our default
simply by inserting your own "Reply-To:" in your outgoing message.
If you want to see an example of that, look at the mail header of
this message, as I've inserted my own pointing back to the list
owners' address.  Methods for doing this vary by e-mail client.
Consult the Help file of your own e-mail program for instructions,
if you're interested in learning more.

Finally, if anyone would like his or her own copy of our SEELANGS
Welcome message, which contains all our list guidelines, just send
the command:

GET WELCOME SEELANGS

in the body of e-mail to:  LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

You can also view it on-line at our Web site.  URL is below.

Thanks.

Alex Rudd                ahrjj at cunyvm.cuny.edu            ARS KA2ZOO
{Standard Disclaimer}    http://home.attbi.com/~lists/seelangs/