Specializations in Russian history

Melissa Frazier mfrazier at MAIL.SLC.EDU
Wed Feb 27 16:10:46 UTC 2002

Dear friends,

I need some help.  Our Russian historian just retired and I am having
trouble convincing his colleagues that Russia still matters, and I am going
to have to be creative in attempting to address what they see as their
needs.  So I am wondering if any historians out there could tell me:  would
we have a decent pool of candidates if we advertised for someone doing
comparative 17th-18th c. European history, Russia and something else
Western European, say France or Germany?  So someone who could do two
undergraduate classes/year, one in each area? Or, alternatively:  what
would be the chances of finding a Russian historian who could teach one
course/year in some aspect of women's history/gender issues in history?  It
seems to me both should be possible, but I'd very much appreciate any input
I can get on this before I return to this discussion.  Any responses can be
sent to me off-line at mfrazier at slc.edu.

Thank you!

Melissa Frazier