Summer Russian Practicum at Columbia University

Ludmilla Trigos Latrigos at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 27 21:15:53 UTC 2002

The Russian Practicum, Columbia University
Summer Session 2002: June 10-August 2

The Russian Practicum combines courses in Russian language with content courses in Russian literature and specially designed research courses on
"Working in Russian Archives" and "Russian Internet Resources." Language and content courses can be taken in combination or individually.  The Practicum consists of two four-week sessions, running from June 10-July 5 and July 8-August 2.  Literature and research courses are targeted at upper-level
undergraduate and graduate students.  Language courses accommodate both undergraduate and graduate students with a variety of backgrounds and reasons for studying Russian.  Extracurricular activities will be provided to reinforce language learning and to give greater exposure to Russian culture. They include: weekly Russian language lunchtime conversation hour, visits to Russian art and manuscript collections in the New York area museums and libraries, a Russian film series and other cultural events.

The unprecedented opportunities to study abroad in Russia and to gain access to previously closed archival repositories make our program especially useful to students and scholars who would like an introduction to these newly available resources or who believe that they should strengthen their language
skills.  Our research courses "Working in Russian Archives" and "Russian Internet Resources" will demystify the intricacies of conducting research in
Russia and will enable students and scholars to lay the preliminary groundwork necessary to carry out productive research trips to Russia. Language and literature courses provide an opportunity to students who may wish to accelerate their study of Russian, or who have recently decided that they may want to major in Russian literature and language or regional studies but who have not yet gained the necessary course credits.

Intensive Language Courses: June 10-August 2, 2002
First-Year Russian, I and II, Staff  [4 points]

Second-Year Russian, I and II, Staff [4 points]
Prerequisite: RUSS V1101x-1102y or equivalent.

Advanced Russian, S3331x-3332y, Staff [4 points]
Prerequisite: Two years of college-level Russian.

Literature and Research Courses
Offered June 10-July 5:
Working in Russian Archives, Henryk Baran [2 points].
Devils in Russian Literature [in English],
Ludmilla Trigos [2 points]

Offered July 8-August 2:
Research Practicum: Russian Internet Resources,Marta Deyrup [2 points]
Intertextuality in the 20th Century Russian Novel [in English], Melissa Frazier [2 points]

For more information, please contact:
Dr. Ludmilla A. Trigos, Director
The Russian Practicum
Tel: 212-854-3133