Call for Panel Declarations, AATSEEL 2002

Lily Alexander lily.alexander at UTORONTO.CA
Sun Jan 13 15:56:21 UTC 2002

Dear Colleagues,

Please note the declarations / call for papers for two panels below for the meeting in New
York:

New Media Theory and Experimental Languages in Russian Art

Lev Manovich, an immigrant from the former Soviet Union, has become a new guru in North
American new media theory. It is clear that he himself has been influenced by theory and
practice of Russian avant-garde and experimental narrative and visual languages developed in
Russian culture, as well as by theoretical breakthroughs of Russian thought on art, language,
and culture.
I propose a panel, which will trace and  discuss the connection between current developments
in  new media theory and theory/practice of experimental art in the history of Russian culture.

Contact: Lily Alexander, University of Toronto
lily.alexander at utoronto.ca

Dostoevsky and World Cinema

In addition to dozens of adaptations of his novels in many national cinemas, Dostoevsky has
profoundly influenced many outstanding directors, such as Kurosawa, Hitchcock, Scorcese and
others, as many of them acknowledged. The proposed panel will focus on direct and indirect
influences of Dostoevsky on world cinema.

Contact: Lily Alexander, University of Toronto
lily.alexander at utoronto.ca