SEELANGS Administrivia - Advertising on SEELANGS

Alex Rudd AHRJJ at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Tue Jul 16 22:09:09 UTC 2002

Dear SEELangers,

Over the last few days I've caught myself writing off-list to
two or three of you regarding one of our list guidelines.  To
spare me from having to continue writing such reminder notes,
I'm addressing this one to everyone.

First, here's the guideline, which is taken from our Welcome
message.  I'll follow it with some brief commentary.

--- Begin ---

Advertising on SEELANGS
interest, he may forward it to the list if the vendor complies
with the following conditions:

The advertisement will:

  o briefly identify the company
  o briefly describe the product(s)
  o NOT contain any price information or dollar amounts
  o request that any interested parties contact the vendor
    directly for further information
  o contain vendor contact information
  o NOT be more than 60 lines of text

List members who wish to advertise businesses or products
in which they have a financial interest are discouraged from
doing so on SEELANGS if the businesses or products have
nothing to do with slavic languages or literature.  If they
do have something to do with slavic languages or literature,
list members are asked to comply with the above guideline.

NOTE:  The above guideline regarding advertising on SEELANGS
does not apply to seminar and conference announcements.
Such announcements may contain dollar amounts and, due to the
occasional inclusion of forms, may exceed 60 lines of text.  If
posting an announcement or including a form, please be sure to
insert your own "Reply-To:" tag in your out-going mail header or
write the list owners for assistance if you do not know how that
is accomplished.

--- End ---

That guideline has been disregarded lately in two ways.  First,
messages advertising products (e.g., books) have exceeded 60
lines of text.  Second, they have contained price information.

The first restriction is intended to spare everyone from having
to deal with long advertisements and also to spare our disk
space, as each message posted to the list is archived and there's
no real need to preserve such marketing materials.

The second restriction is in place because SEELANGS is
administered using the software and hardware resources of the
City University of New York (CUNY).  As a public, taxpayer-
supported institution, CUNY has policy against using its
resources for commercial purposes, such as advertising, and we
must obey that policy.  Therefore, I just ask that you not
post full advertisements to SEELANGS.  If you have something
in which you think fellow list members would be interested, tell
them a little something about it and then point them somewhere
where they can learn more, including price information, by giving
them an e-mail address to which to write or a Web site URL they
can visit.

Finally, if you do not have your own copy of the SEELANGS Welcome
message, which contains this, and all, our guidelines, you can
grab one simply by sending the command:

GET WELCOME SEELANGS

in the body of e-mail to:  LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

For your convenience, you can also find it on-line on the
SEELANGS Web site.  The URL to that site can be found at the
bottom of this message and every message posted to the list.

Any questions, let me know.

Thanks.

Alex Rudd                ahrjj at cunyvm.cuny.edu            ARS KA2ZOO
{Standard Disclaimer}    http://home.attbi.com/~lists/seelangs/