Wilno/Vilnius

Elena Gapova e.gapova at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Fri Jun 14 03:16:17 UTC 2002

Exactly. Peasant population called themselves "tuteishiya", not sure of a
name (in the absense of a political project of their own), and their
language "prosta mova", as this was also a "class issue": those achiving (or
aspiring to achieve) some upward social mobility had to drop, under any
regime in the region of the last 200 years, their "peasant speak" as a
belonging marker.

It is an interesting cultural evidence that all characters, but the Polish
nobility, in the books of Eliza Ozheszkova, speak that very "prosta mova".

Shlomo Avineri  argues correctly, in a way, that the borders of the former
republics of the USSR that became independent states after 1991 reflect "the
whims and fiats of old rulers and have little to do with either history or
linguistic delineations". The big problem, though, is how to draw such lines
"correctly," when nations, ethnic groups and states change over time their
shape, name and mythology of origin, intermingle and overlap. Even bigger
problem is the general basis for assigning territories to different
categories of people (or the very idea of the "categories of people")...

Elena Gapova,
a 100% Borderlands' Mix