How does one suspend subscription for vacation?

Alex Rudd AHRJJ at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Fri Jun 21 17:06:47 UTC 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:16:38 -0400 Anthony F. Antolini said:
>Please let me know how to suspend my subscription for a vacation period.

Dear SEELangers,

Please make a note (preferably in your e-mail program's Address Book):
When you have a question relating to your SEELANGS subscription, or to
LISTSERV and its commands, please do not post it to the list.  Instead,
write directly to the list owners' address, which is:

SEELANGS-Request at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

In years past, just prior to most schools' summer breaks, I would post
a message reminding people of the basic LISTSERV commands and how to
use them to leave the list or to suspend temporarily receipt of list
mail.  I did not do that this year, because we have a Welcome message
now, and everyone has access to it.

I am willing to assume that the majority of list members at this point
have access to the World Wide Web.  At the bottom of each and every
post to the list is the URL (Web address) of the SEELANGS Web site.  On
that site you will find, among other things, our Welcome message.

If you don't have access to the Web, you can have LISTSERV mail you a
copy of the Welcome message by sending the command:

GET WELCOME SEELANGS

in the body of e-mail to:  LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

Having said all that, here's the excerpt that answers the question
above:

--- Begin ---

How to Stop the Mail if You're Going Away
If you're going away on vacation or will otherwise be away from
your computer for any period of time, you may want to stop the
list mail from coming while you're gone.  There are two ways to
do it.  The first involves making use of the SEELANGS Web Interface.
Go to the following URL:

http://home.attbi.com/~lists/seelangs/

Once there, click on "Subscription Options."  When the page
loads, scroll down to the section marked "Miscellaneous,"
click on the box next to "Mail delivery disabled temporarily,"
and then click on "Update."

To resume mail delivery, click on that box again to deselect
it and click on "Update."

It can also be done using e-mail.  Here's how to do it:

Send e-mail to:  LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

Put anything (or nothing) in the Subject: line and in the main
body of the text put only the single line:

SET SEELANGS NOMAIL

That will stop the mail.  When you come back and want to start
it again, send mail to that same address containing the command:

SET SEELANGS MAIL

--- End ---

Finally, if you've read this far and I still have your attention,
permit me to appeal (once again) to you all to be careful (please)
not to include entire original messages in your replies when you
reply to those messages on the list.  Quoting small amounts of
text for purposes of setting the context for your reply is fine,
but including entire messages is not.  A review of the Welcome
message will lead you to the Guideline addressing that issue.

Any questions, please let me know off-list.

Thanks.

Alex Rudd                ahrjj at cunyvm.cuny.edu            ARS KA2ZOO
{Standard Disclaimer}    http://home.attbi.com/~lists/seelangs/