teddy bears in Russia(n)

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Fri Mar 8 03:06:14 UTC 2002

Dear SEELANGers:

Some of my students are wondering about the history of the Teddy Bear
in Russia:  specifically, they are wondering if this cultural icon is
home grown, as I suspect, or if it's a borrowing from the US or
western cultures after the appearance of the teddy bear in the US
(around the time or shortly after the presidency of Teddy Roosevelt.)

Thanks for any tips you can give me.

- Ben Rifkin

--

Benjamin Rifkin

Professor of Slavic Languages, Slavic Dept., UW-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI  53706 USA
voice: 608/262-1623; fax: 608/265-2814
http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/slavic/rifkin/

Director of the Russian School
Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT  05753
voice:  802/443-5533; fax: 802/443-5394
http://www.middlebury.edu/~ls/Russian/