question on a language

Hugh Olmsted holmsted at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Mar 13 19:01:57 UTC 2002

Dear Wayles and all,
No, it's not normal contemporary Latvian orthography; it's the older German-based
version that was used when Latvia was under the Germans.  Cf. the stem peez-
'five' , which is now rendered 'piec-'.  There was/is a Baltic tradition, still
kept in Estonian, of rendering a diphthong [ie] by  the digraph -ee-; and the
German-based use of "z" for the affricate now rendered by 'c'.
Hugh Olmsted