Calligraphy references in Dostoevsky

JSD jsdrisc at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Nov 4 16:35:29 UTC 2002

Colleagues,

I am trying to contextualize Myshkin's comments on calligraphy in Part 1,
III of Idiot.  I would appreciate any insights on the following references:

1.)  shrift ploshchadnoi   (transl. as "writing of the market-place")

2.)  shrift publichnykh pistsov  (transl. as "writing of public scribes")

Thank you,

Jim Driscoll

PS: Please reply off list to jsdrisc at fas.harvard.edu.   Hitting the reply
button will send your message back to the whole list.