Cash, credit, travelers' checks?: Financial options for students studying abroad?

Karen Evans-Romaine evans-ro at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Thu Nov 14 15:34:12 UTC 2002

Dear Nicole and Seelangers,

For those students who go to Moscow and prefer to use travellers' checks:

In Moscow, there is one bank I know of that cashes travellers' checks for
only 1 percent: Vneshtorgbank on Novyj Arbat, about 5 minutes' walk from
the Arbat metro stations, just up the street (in the direction away from
the former Lenin Library) from the intersection of Arbat and Novyj Arbat,
past Moskovskij Dom Knigi and on that side of the street (on the other side
of the street from Novoarbatskij Torgovyj Dom, formerly the Irish House).
As of last June, their rate was the lowest I could find, they were open
seven days a week (I believe from 11-7), and the personnel was very polite.

I'm sorry I don't have the exact address: but you could use this as a
landmarks exercise for teaching students to negotiate their way around
central Moscow!

Some Sberbanki cash travellers' checks as well; however, their rate last
spring was 2 percent.

Best wishes,

Karen Evans-Romaine

Dr. Karen Evans-Romaine
Associate Professor of Russian
Department of Modern Languages
Ohio University
Gordy Hall 283
Athens, OH 45701-2979
telephone: 740-593-2791 (office), 740-593-2765 (department)
fax: 740-593-0729
email: evans-ro at ohio.edu