Fwd: Russian State Duma outlaws Roman alphabet

Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Fri Nov 15 20:28:25 UTC 2002

>>From: curt fredric woolhiser <cfwoolhiser at mail.utexas.edu>
>>Subject: Russian State Duma outlaws Roman alphabet
>>Bcc:
>>
>>Duma outlaws Roman alphabet
>>
>>(from gazeta.ru)
>>
>>The State Duma has prohibited Tatars from using the Roman alphabet.
>>On Friday deputies passed a bill banning the use of any alphabet
>>other than Cyrillic in state languages throughout the Russian
>>Federation.
>>       The debate, according to Kaadyr-ool Bicheldei, one of the
>>authors of the draft and chairman of the subcommittee for language
>>policy, ethnic minorities and indigenous peoples, proceeded ''quite
>>smoothly''.

It's interesting that Mr. Bicheldei is from our profession. The web site
http://www.cityline.ru:8084/politika/bio/bicheld.html
describes him as:

Chlen Soveta Federacii (s 23 yanvarya 1996)

Dolzhnost' v sub'ekte Federacii:
Predsedatel' Verhovnogo Hurala (Parlamenta) Respubliki Tyva
Tel 8(394-22)3-73-25, faks 3-33-71
Dolzhnost' v Sovete Federacii:
Chlen Komiteta po mezhdunarodnym delam. Zamestitel' predsedatelya
Komissii po Reglamentu i parlamentskim proceduram. K.3-30,
tel.292-75-27, 926-66-79

Data rozhdeniya. Rukovodyashie dolzhnosti v regione v
hronologicheskom poryadke. Partiinaya (politicheskaya)
prinadlezhnost':
2 yanvarya 1950, tuvinec, obrazovanie vysshee, kandidat
filologicheskih nauk. Predsedatel' Verhovnogo Soveta so 2 oktyabrya
1991; Predsedatel' Verhovnogo Hurala (Parlamenta) s 6 yanvarya 1994.
Rabota narodnym deputatom RF (1990-1993):
Narodnyi deputat RF (nac.-terr.okr.132:Tuva) s 4 marta 1990.
Frakciya: Suverenitet i Ravenstvo. Na moment izbraniya - starshii
nauchnyi sotrudnik Tuvinskogo NII yazyka, istorii i literatury.

and he is the author of:
Let's Learn Tuvan! by Kaadyr-ool A. Bicheldei (now Parliament
Chairman). Twenty chapters
of instruction with a CD....
available from the site
http://www.scs-intl.com/trader/ (The Tuva Trader).

--

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu