translation question

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at BUFFALO.EDU
Tue Nov 19 14:14:24 UTC 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Alina Israeli wrote:

> With all the bab'e leto discussion we got away from the subject.
>
> While "Indian giver" to my knowledge doesn't exist in Russian, I would
> suggest for translation purposes
>
>         Bojtes' danajcev dary prinosjashchix.

This is the first time when I have to disagree with Alina Israeli.
"Bojtes' danajcev dary prinosjashchix" means beware the gift from your
enemy because it might be a trap.
There is nothing to be afraid with an Indian giver besides the
unpleasantness, irritation and embarrassment.
When the word for translation of a given term does not exist, one can
introduce a new word in the text along with a footnote to explain it.
A similar approach is used when classical literary works are reproduced
with the words whose meanings have been lost or changed in time.

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at buffalo.edu>