Pronunciation of Names (was WORD to PDF conversion)

Thu Oct 3 22:45:47 UTC 2002

Genevra Gerhart wrote:

> Dear List,
> Considerable attention has been paid to the problem of where to
> stress Russian surnames: Morton Benson, long since, produced an entire
> book of stresses thereof, University of Pennsylvania Press, and
> entitled "Dictionary of Russian Personal Names, with a Guide to Stress
> and Morphology". I got the first edition in 1964 and there was another
> improved one, later, I believe. The non-native who attempts to speak
> Russian shouldn't really be without it.
>
> And I will also mention that if it's a famous name we're talking about,
> you can also refer to "The Russian Context" for the same information.

I've only begun to scratch the surface of the vast information contained
in your two volumes. I expect it will take me nearly as long to read it
all as it took you to compile it. Thanks.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com