Dostoevsky, Elijah and HOGTOWN

Nancy Green nancygreenmight at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 5 14:57:28 UTC 2002

Thanks to the many SEELANGS scholars who reponded to my inquiry regarding
Elijah the Prophet, Dostoevsky, and the novel "Hogtown". The reponses have
been diametrically opposed and a bit confusing. Some people wrote me that
there simply is no Elijah symbolism in Dostoevsky. Others said the discovery
is real, but Marmaladoff is not real. One person wrote me that Marmaladoff
is real, but the discovery is ephemeral and "it is senseless to look for
Elijahs in the works of Dostoevsky." A grad student wrote me that HOGTOWN is
very real, that he lives there and he remembers when Yuri Marmeladov used to
lecture there "before the frightening events that resulted in the relocation
of the college." My head is spinning.
  Nancy Green