Russian Area Studies

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Tue Oct 8 21:57:14 UTC 2002

Well, let's see, I just got through editing and posting the Unit 4 Golosa
video, shot in summer 2001. In it, Mark Segal' talks about the
English-language courses he teaches at Herzen: "И второй мой лекционный
курс - страноведение США..."

And here I thought it was supposed to be dated.

-Rich Robin

----- Original Message -----
From: Lynne deBenedette <lynne_debenedette at BROWN.EDU>
To: <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian Area Studies

Much after the fact, but...

Apropos the suggestion of русист 'rusist' and славист 'slavist' to describe
students of what we call “Russian Area Studies” or “Russian and East
European Studies.”  I agree that  страноведение ‘stranovedenie’ is a dated
term that does not suggest the depth or range of knowledge we associate with
‘area studies’