computers to Russia

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Thu Oct 10 15:23:43 UTC 2002

Dear List,

A friend of mine would like to get her sister, who lives in St. Petersburg,
a computer as a gift. I advised her that the cheapest and most reliable way
to do this would be to buy an inexpensive used or refurbished laptop
computer here (for $500 or so) and take it to her when she goes there next.
I know that with laptops the different current in Russia won't matter much.
My question though is whether there will be any problems with customs when
she enters the country with a computer but leaves without one. I imagine
that people on this list have exported computers in this way -- any advice
or warnings?

Or perhaps it's best just to buy a computer there? I've never looked at
computers there and don't know their quality, cost, etc.

Thanks in advance,
mad
Michael A. Denner
Russian Studies Program