No subject

Anne Fisher aof at UMICH.EDU
Tue Oct 15 16:10:34 UTC 2002

Call For Papers

University of Michigan Graduate Student Conference: Slavic Connections

Saturday, February 15, 2003

The University of Michigan's Slavic Department and Center for Russian and
East European Studies (CREES) would like to announce a one-day graduate
student conference, Slavic Connections, to explore a range of approaches to
Slavic literatures, cultures, and linguistics.

We envision a day of panels on Russian Literature, Russian Culture, Slavic
Linguistics, Polish Literature and Culture, and Czech Literature and Culture,
scheduled in successive two-hour blocks so that all conference-goers can
attend all panels. However, we will welcome abstracts on any Slavic topic, so
the proposed panels may change depending on the number, subject, and quality of
abstracts submitted.

Panels will be composed of three presenters and one discussant, all graduate
students, with ample time for discussion after and between panels. We are aiming
for an intimate, intensive atmosphere which will stimulate cross-disciplinary
discussion by and for future professionals in the field. The day will finish
with a lecture and concert by Moscow scholar and performance artist Pavel Lion
(also known by his stage name Psoy Korolenko - readers of Russian can find more
about him from his website http://www.psoy.ru, and an English-language version of
the site is http://www.psoy.ru/main_eng.html) followed by a dinner.

Abstracts (one page or less) will be due by November 15, 2002, and abstract
authors will be notified by December 15, 2002. Abstracts will be judged by
panels of graduate students from the appropriate disciplines. Authors of the
three most promising abstracts will be offered a substantial travel
allowance. Conference organizers will provide overnight accommodation with local
graduate students.

For further information, call (764) 995-4559 or email aof at umich.edu.

Annie Fisher
University of Michigan Slavic Department
Modern Languages Building
812 E. Washington, Suite 3040
Ann Arbor, MI
48109-1275