Foreign equivalents of 'logrolling'

Kjetil Rå Hauge K.R.Hauge at EAST.UIO.NO
Sun Oct 20 15:18:09 UTC 2002

>Thanks, as always, to the collective intelligence of SEELANGS.
>Regarding both 'kumovstvo' and the wonderful 'shurobadzhanachestvo,' can
>these terms apply to relationships not based on kinship?

Speaking for the Bulgarian: yes, the standard one-volume Bulgarian
dictionary defines it as Œsemejstvenost, nepotizym¹ and in turn
defines the latter word as Œfavouritism towards relatives or close
people¹.

Let me also use the opportunity to give you a more correct form:
shurobadzhanashtina is the dictionary form and also most frequent
judging by a Google search - about 35 hits versus only 3 for
shurobadzhanachestvo(to).
--
-- Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo. Phone +47/22856710, fax +47/22854140
-- (this msg sent from home, +47/67148424, fax +1/5084372444)