Area studies

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Fri Oct 25 09:41:30 UTC 2002

If I may be permitted to blow a few cobwebs off a long-buried topic,
I have just returned from Moscow, where I was told not only that the
Russian term for 'area studies' is 'regionovedenie', but also that
this term has official status, in that it is in the list of approved
subjects issued by the relevant ministry.  My informant also told me
that the authorities are having great difficulty in coming up with an
acceptable equivalent for 'communication studies', and so if anyone
feels inspired and wants to help MinVUZ out of hole, now is your
chance.

John Dunn.