Vseproshchenie

Sharon Knox sccampbe at UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Oct 25 22:05:58 UTC 2002

Dear Jack,

Thank you for your reply.   I'm looking for some
literature describing all-forgiveness as peculiarly
an Orthodox idea - I don't know of an analogous term
in Catholic or Protestant theology, although the idea
that God is all-forgiving is there.

I'm writing a chapter on The Idiot for my dissertation
on forgiveness in Dostoevsky.  Mochulsky notes vseproshchenie
as one of Myshkin's Christlike qualities, and I discuss
Myshkin's success/failure as a Christ figure in those
terms.

Thanks again,
Sharon Knox