Cookies

Andrew Hicks ah69 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Oct 30 06:03:24 UTC 2002

Colleagues, let us require some proof before we get paranoid.  A couple
of considerations:

1)  Cookies would be a lousy surveillance tool since, as this thread has
already established, they are easily erased.  Commercial "spyware"
usually uses more sophisticated techniques; our security agencies likely
do as well.

2)  A quick check reveals that the URL extreme.mailing.us leads to a
Belgian consultancy, which, to be sure, is ominous in its own right.

Personally, I am confident that I am not nearly so significant as to
tempt the FBI to corrupt my Purity of Essence.  However, as I noted
above, there are "spyware" programs that you would rather not have on
your computer.  The best free utility to remove them is Ad-Aware,
available at http://www.lavasoft.de.

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Lauren Leighton
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 12:04 AM

Dear Colleagues: Wayles Browne's query re cookies and Renee Stillings'
reply
prompted me to examine my cookies. You might take a look there for one
item--extreme.mailings.us. It is apparently one of several surveillance
categories resulting from legislation which empowers government agencies
track the doings of private persons.