Careless replies

Fri Sep 6 22:45:58 UTC 2002

Elena Gapova wrote:

> Whether the misuse of the reply button was meant or just a Freudan
> slip, we could all admit that mocking (stupid) students is an
> important part of the teachers' juissance de vie. We are all human.

That we are. But we are not all petty. Many of us don't find much
amusement in putting others down.

I remember from my days in academia that this sort of thing was all too
common, and I'm sure you know it goes both ways. But prevalence doesn't
make it right, any more than the prevalence of drunk driving makes that
right.

Let's remember that this is a semipublic place, and you never know who
may be listening. Perhaps your chairman. Perhaps your student. Perhaps
your ex-future spouse. Perhaps someone who was thinking of hiring you.
I'm not here to judge you, I'm just saying you're playing Russian
roulette when you shoot your mouth off. ;-)

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com