enrollments query

Nancy Condee condee at PITT.EDU
Fri Sep 20 19:18:10 UTC 2002

I think Morozov would do just fine, though perhaps not in ways we intend.

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of Kevin Bray
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 2:48 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] enrollments query

I recall that, when I started learning Russian, my friends would
specifically ask if I now understood the dialogue from The Hunt for Red
October.  I don't know precisely what the appeal of that film is, but it
firmly adhered itself to the imaginations of many adolescent boys.
Perhaps it was the idea of a hero (Sean Connery) in a traditional
villain's place, or the fact that the Soviets had never looked so
western.  Or maybe it was the image of all those uniforms . . .

Can anyone help me put together a short list of "model Soviet citizens"
created for pushing quotas and other officially sanctioned behaviour in
the USSR?  I have in mind the example of a boy (my recollection is not
perfect, so I may be mixing two examples) named Pavlik Morozov, who
joined the Komsomol and denounced his own parents, or the factory worker
who punched ten thousand rivets (or something like that) in one day and
became a sort of celebrity.  I'm looking for examples where a specific
name was attached to the desired behaviour, so that the line would go,
"Be like [enter name here], do [enter activity here] today!".

Kevin Bray
University of Toronto