Question on kul'tura rechi.

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon Sep 23 16:08:31 UTC 2002

>Bonjour, SEELANGers
>This will literally mean "I am not going to greet you" and
>is definitely very-very rude.

I would even say that it is the equivalent of 'I am not talking to you',
bacause in Russian "ne podat' komu-libo ruki" is a sign of "cold war"
between the two people, the way to ostracize someone or show one's outrage.
And since a handshake is part of the daily greeting ritual, they brecome
more or less equivalent.

>Cordially, Val Belianine, editor of www.textology.ru
>J> If one has already greeted an acquaintance in the morning, and then
>J> encounters him again later in the day, is it possible to say to him "ia s
>J> vami ne zdorovaius'", having in mind that greetings have already been
>J> exchanged, or would this be considered very rude?
>J> John Barnstead

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Mass. Ave. NW