Tolstoy and "the shorthand of emotion"

Brewer, Michael brewerm at U.LIBRARY.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Sep 25 14:38:41 UTC 2002

It looks to me like Tolstoy wrote something like this to his wife on 17
January 1905 or in his journal on the 20th of that month.  (музыка - это
стенография чувств or музыка есть стенография чувств).  I did not go back to
his collected works to check if the whole quote comes from this particular
letter, but at least part of it is there (he may have come up with this
earlier and was just repeating it at this point).

mb

Michael Brewer

German and Slavic Studies Librarian

Fine Arts/Humanities Team