Vsegda est' mesto podvigam

Andrew Jameson a.jameson at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Wed Sep 25 17:39:23 UTC 2002

V zhizni (...) vsegda est' mesto podvigam
Gorky, "Starukha Izergil'", II, 1895.
See also Ven. Erofeev, "Moskva Petushki", gl. "Moskva. Restoran Kurskogo Vokzala", 1969.
[K V Dushenko, Slovar' sovr. tsitat, 1997, s. 102]

Andrew Jameson MA MIL
Chair, Russian Committee, ALL

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Dunn" <J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK>
To: <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] enrollments query

In Glasgow we are more cynical.  This year I invited our final-year
students to write an essay on the revised version of the quotation
(which, unless Val Belianine can enlighten us to the contrary, I
assume must be attributed to the ever-prolific Anon.): 'V zhizni
vsegda est' mesto podvigu; glavnoe - derzhat'sja ot etogo mesta
podal'she'  Sadly no-one took up the invitation.

John Dunn.