avoid Cyrillic!

Mon Sep 30 06:33:06 UTC 2002

Dear Chris,

> Indeed.  Every operating system that's used popularly has adequate
> support for Cyrillic.  If you're having trouble getting your computer
> and mail client reading Cyrillic letters properly, I humbly submit
> the following resource:
>
> http://www.yale.edu/multilingual/
>
> This was the one resource I found that helped with Russifying MacOS 8.
> Other, later operating systems are fairly well-documented on the web;
> try a Google search.  Eudora ought to read Cyrillic just fine if the
> OS is properly configured.

Ought to, yes, but...

As for Eudora, been there, tried that. I have some minor
dissatisfactions with Netscape Messenger 4.7 and had heard lots of
great things about Eudora (I posted a query in this forum a couple of
months ago). Even contacted Qualcomm's tech support. The answer that
came back was that they support only "Western" encoding and have no
intention of developing any multilingual support whatsoever. If it
isn't written in the standard 8-bit US ASCII encoding, forget it. Don't
even *mention* Unicode; you may as well ask for the moon.

I'm a power user from way back and have been lying, cheating and
generally tricking software in all kinds of devious ways since the
mid-1980s to get it to do things it doesn't think I oughta want it to
do, and neither I nor any of my highly computer-literate Russophile
friends could find a workaround.

If our friend Giampaolo wants to read Cyrillic email, he'll have to get
another program. Netscape works, and so does The Bat! (though I have no
personal experience with the latter). I don't know about Opera, but it
has a good rep, so it's worth asking about. And if you like patching
security holes, there are always Outlook and Outlook Distress (the
price is right, since they're bundled with Windows).

Or, since Eudora uses Internet Explorer's code to display HTML mail, he
could wait until HTML mail is no longer widely deprecated. ;-)

P.S. I tried a search on Russian Google and got lots of hits for Eudora
on the Mac, so perhaps things are different in the Apple world. To view
my results, point your browser to
<http://www.google.com.ru/search?hl=ru&inlang=ru&ie=windows-1251&q=Eudora+%28%F0%F3%F1%F1%EA%E8%E9+%7C+%EA%E8%F0%E8%EB%EB%E8%F7%E5%F1%EA%E8%E9%29+%F8%F0%E8%F4%F2>.
-- and make sure you get the whole URL!

Paul B. Gallagher