Russian literature question

Eliot Borenstein eb7 at NYU.EDU
Mon Sep 30 14:41:53 UTC 2002

Well, if you *really* want popular literature, I do have a few
suggestions, but they're not for the faint of heart:

Viktor Dotsenko's "Beshenyi" series. Books 8-10 (I believe) take place
at least in part in Chechnya, and one of the main villains is Dzhokhar
Dudaev, who has somehow survived that notorious cell-phone call.  I
think these novels include "Voina Beshenogo" and "Okhota Beshenogo."

Some of the evil mafiosi fought by the super-power Sever and his
equally-superpowered nymphomaniac prostitute girlfriend in the first
two "Nimfomanka" books by Dmitri Shcherbakov ("Nimfomanka" and
"Nimfomanka:  Besposhchadnaia strast'") are Chechen.

Polina Dashkova's detektiv "Prodazhnye tvari" is all about Caucasian
bandits who kidnap an innocent Muscovite woman.  Though the action
doesn't take place in Chechnya, Chechens are clearly involved.

And if I'm not mistaken, the mastermind behind the very convoluted plot
of Aleksandra Marinina's "Illiuziia grekha" is also a Chechen general.

Finally, there is a fairly significant Chechnya subplot in Sergei
Pugachev's "Ty prosto shliukha, dorogaia!"

It's all quite tacky, of course.  But please don't blame the messenger.

Eliot Borenstein,  Chair
Dept. of Russian & Slavic Studies
New York University