Tolstoy and M.B. Eddy

J.W. vanya1v at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 6 01:00:46 UTC 2003

Ottawa (Canada), Tuesday 5 August 2003 21h00 EDT

In my research as a member of the Slavic Research Group at the
University of Ottawa (Canada), I am currently working on a paper (to be
presented in Russian in late August) on Lev Nikolaevich
Tolstoy(1828-1910) and Mary Baker Eddy (1821-1910), the founder of the
Christian Science church in America.

While my main focus will be a comparative study of their lives and world
views, I should like to include reference to any expression of views
either of them had regarding the other.  There are a number of Eddy's
books in Tolstoy's Yasnaya Polyana library, one of them with his
marginal notations.  However, as I understand it, very little
correspondence passed between them.  The only reference to Eddy in the
Jubilee Edition appears to be a letter Tolstoy wrote to I. Bazanov at
Vologda on 12 September 1906 in response to Bazanov's request of 1
September, asking L.N.T. for his opinions on Eddy and Christian Science.
 But the letter is listed as missing.

I remember seeing some years ago such a letter in English translation in
a large volume published in the West.  I wasn't studying Tolstoy at the
time and unfortunately cannot remember whether it was the abovementioned
letter to Bazanov or one addressed to Eddy herself.  Nor can I remember
the author (compiler) or the title of the book.  If anyone knows where I
can find such a letter (or any document outlining Tolstoy's views on
Eddy or Christian Science, or indeed, Eddy's views on Tolstoy), either
in Russian or English, I would very much appreciate hearing from you.*

Please reply off-list (as soon as possible) to <vanya1v at yahoo.com>.

P.S. Since originally attempting to post this enquiry a few days ago, I
have had helpful correspondence from Professor Robert Whittaker in
America, who drew my attention to a brief letter from Tolstoy letter to
E.S. Davis, an American Christian Scientist, published in the Jubilee
Edition (64: 294).  The letter I remember seeing, however, was
considerably longer (more than a page) and went into quite some detail
in outlining Tolstoy's attitude to Christian Science and its founder.

*Or better yet, if you could send me a scan of the letter by e-mail, I
should be doubly grateful.