source of quotation on the law

Leonard J Stanton stanton at LSU.EDU
Mon Dec 1 16:28:24 UTC 2003

can anyone help find a source?  i'm stumped,
lenny stanton:

In the very late 90's I took a Russian literature class at LSU wherein I
remember reading or hearing the phrase from a Russian work, "If the law
does say it is legal to do, then it is not.'

I thought this line was from Gogol's Inspector General, but I have been
over and over it and now I see I was wrong.  I am still reseaching other
Rusian works, but so far without success.