Harvard Model Congress: FSU participants wanted

Curt F. Woolhiser cwoolhis at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Dec 4 19:58:37 UTC 2003

Dear SEELANGers,

I was asked by one of my students to forward the following information about the
Harvard Model Congress to the list. Please bring this to the attention of your colleagues
who teach or serve as administators at secondary schools in Russia or the other former
Soviet republics. Many thanks!

Dear Faculty Advisor:

        I am the President of Harvard Model Congress Europe 2003, and I would like to invite
your school to participate in our conference!  HMCE is a premiere high school
government simulation with schools coming from a wide range of countries such as
Mauritius, Oman, Greece, France, and Germany. Our low delegate-to-staffer-ratio
ensures an excellent educational experience wrought from the close interactions students
have with our staffers.  Each year, the number of students who wish to participate in our
conference has increased, and we are offering you the opportunity to register
immediately to ensure your participation!
             Each year, we select 30 of HarvardÕs brightest students to run our conference.  Before
the conference, they write detailed but easy-to-understand briefings focusing on the
worldÕs most interesting and critical political and economic issues. Following a
substantial editing process, the briefings are sent to your students in the fall.  During the
conference, two Harvard students run a small, energized committee of approximately
20-25 high school students, and the intimate nature of each committee ensures that our
staffers are able to cater to each studentÕs individual needs and interests.  After the
conference, high school delegates are always amazed by how much they have learned
about pressing international issues and how much their public speaking skills in English
have improved!
              What distinguishes our conference from other government simulations is the
professionalism of our staffers and the intimate nature of our conference.  Our staffers
are experts on the issues that your students will debate, and they are also extremely
enthusiastic to work with their delegates. Our staffersÕ passion for the subject matter is
contagious, and within the first few minutes of debate, your students will be absorbed in
the topics. Although it would seem that three days of intense debate and discussion
would sap their energy, our staffers remain focused and energized throughout the
conference and will create a dynamic learning environment for your students. The small
nature of our committees also allows the participating delegates, who come from all over
the world, to get to know each other and establish bonds of friendship that will extend
well beyond Paris!
             This year, our conference will be held from April 3-5, 2004, at the Novotel Bagnolet
in Paris, France.  Because our hotel/conference center is located in the heart of Paris,
your students will be able to participate in our conference during the day and enjoy the
beautiful sights of Paris at night.  We encourage schools attending our conference to
stay with us at the hotel, our hotel rates are affordable and staying at the hotel will
enhance the educational benefits of the conference by giving your students more
opportunities to interact with other students from other schools. Furthermore, staying at
the hotel is a major convenience as well.
             Please review the registration guide, which is available on our website
(http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~hmce). From there you can look at issue briefings from
last year, access the online version of our registration guide, and fill out our convenient
electronic registration form. There is a schedule for forms and fees on page 17, but be
advised, we have extended our registration deadline to December 31, 2003, to
accommodate schools such as yours!  If you have any questions, concerns, or
suggestions, do not hesitate to contact us via email at hmce at hcs.harvard.edu.  Signing
up for our conference will ensure one of the most rewarding educational experiences
that your students will ever have!
        We hope to hear from you soon!

Best wishes,

Sam King