"Proxodnoy": a follow-up

Sun Dec 7 16:39:13 UTC 2003

Steve Marder wrote:

> To give but a single example in a specific sport: when ³proxodnoy poedinok²
> (³proxodnoy boy²) refers to boxing, then ³non-title fight (bout)² would
> arguably be the best choice. To take this example one step further,
> ³proxodnoy poedinok² (³boy²) could also be the equivalent of a ³non-feature
> event² which precedes the ³feature event² during an evening of boxing.

In this context, we have the terms "undercard" (which comprises all
bouts that precede and are less important than the main event) and "main
event" in the U.S. I'm no boxing fan, but it seems to me that the
undercard is made up of "preliminary bouts."

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com