Search fot the Lost

Jack Kollmann jack.kollmann at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Feb 3 17:00:11 UTC 2003

There are two variants of the "Seeking of the Lost" (or "Search for the
Perished") icon:  "Borskaia vzyskanie pogibshikh" and "Vzyskanie
pogibshikh."  They date, respectively, to the 18th and 19th cc. and are
both celebrated on 5 February.  For an explanation of the variants and
their origins, see Sofiia Snessoreva, compiler, "Zemnaia zhizn' Presviatoi
Bogoroditsy i opisanie sviatykh chudotvornykh ee ikon, ...,"
Iaroslavl':  Verkhniaia volga, 1997, pp. 101-103.
Jack Kollmann