Etymology of "slon"

Kjetil Rå Hauge K.R.Hauge at EAST.UIO.NO
Tue Feb 4 23:17:23 UTC 2003

Vasmer derives this word from Turkic _a(r)slan_ 'lion'. Hasan Eren,
in his 1999 Turkish etymological dictionary, notes under the entry
for "a(r)slan" that this etymology is held as untenable in "Ivanov
(Etimologija 1975, 157)" - but my problem is that Eren's bibliography
does not contain anything corresponding to this reference. Would any
of my fellow SEELANGers have any idea as to what this could be? It
does not seem to be a book (unlisted in melvyl.ucop.edu), and I have
already checked what came to my mind first: V. V. Ivanov and
_Slavjanskoe i balkanskoe jazykoznanie_ - he has an article in the
1975 volume, but that is not it.
--
-- Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo. Phone +47/22856710, fax +47/22854140
-- (this msg sent from home, +47/67148424, fax +1/5084372444)