konets vega -- fin de siecle? -- Clarification

Jack Kollmann jack.kollmann at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Feb 19 17:30:51 UTC 2003

         I would think that the adjective "fin-de-siecle" refers ONLY to
late 19th-century culture, which becomes literally dated after the year
1900.  As best I recall, Russian art historians use the French  term.

         I recently wrestled with the related phrase "turn of the
century."  E.g., re: the juncture of the 19th and 20th centuries, do you
say "turn of the 19th c." or "turn of the 20th"?  I think that the word
"turn" refers to both sides of the divide, and that to make clear what you
mean you might say "turn of the 19th-20th centuries."  If, on the other
hand, your context refers unambiguously to the period, say, ca. 1895-1905,
"turn of the century" could stand alone.

Jack Kollmann