No subject

James Bailey jobailey at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Thu Feb 20 22:21:05 UTC 2003

Seelangers,
      The Radio Liberty network today included the following note about a
fire that happened in the manuscript section of Pushkinskij dom.  Let's
hope that the damage was not too bad.  You may rememer that there was a
disasterous fire in BAN a number of years ago.
James Bailey

From: RFE/RL List Manager <listmanager at list.rferl.org>
Subject: RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 7, No. 33, Part I, 20 February 2003
To: newsline1 at list.rferl.org

RADIO FREE EUROPE/RADIO LIBERTY, PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 7, No. 33, Part I, 20 February 2003

A daily report of developments in Eastern and Southeastern Europe,
Russia, the Caucasus, Central Asia, Southwestern Asia, and the Middle
East prepared by the staff of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty.

EXPLOSION DAMAGES ARCHIVES AT LITERATURE INSTITUTE. A
fire-extinguisher explosion in the closed archive of the Institute of
Russian Literature, or Pushkin House, in St. Petersburg on 17
February has damaged or destroyed numerous manuscripts and historical
documents, "Izvestiya" reported on 19 February. According to
archivist Tatyana Ivanova, archives related to 19th-century poet Ivan
Krylov and 19th-century writer Dmitrii Grigorovich suffered the
greatest damage. The institute's Krylov archive is the largest in the
world and included 151 documents, including manuscripts of his famous
fables and original letters. The institute's director, Nikolai
Skatov, told the daily that the fire-extinguishing system should have
undergone regular maintenance last fall, but "we could not extend the
service contract because we simply did not have the money." Skatov
could not say precisely how many documents have been destroyed beyond
restoration or how the institute would pay for the restoration of
damaged documents. RC