Proverbs

Kate Gribbin Katarzyna.Gribbin at MAIL.CUNY.EDU
Fri Feb 28 17:46:01 UTC 2003

Perhaps the proverb can not be translated into English without loosing its
true meaning.  We find this to be a case with many written works.  This
proverb represents a compromise or a solution applied to a problem where
the goal is to have all parties satisfied.  Although the 'win-win
situation' and the 'have your cake and eat it too' suggest similar
understanding, the Russian culture and language dictate a somehow unique
depth to 'i volky syty i ovtsy tsely'.  'You scratch my back, I'll scratch
yours' is another English version of this saying which could be taken
under consideration.  But in order to fully understand the meaning of this
Russian proverb it is essential to determine the time period it was
written in and who was the author.  Because usually this data is not
available to us (proverbs exist for many years), each person will
interpret the saying in a different way.

Kate

Zuzana Nagy <nagy at FAS.HARVARD.EDU>
Sent by: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
<SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
02/28/2003 12:21 PM
Please respond to Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list