Gorky query

Simon Krysl sk5 at DUKE.EDU
Fri Feb 28 22:04:05 UTC 2003

Dear colleagues and friends,
apologies to bother with yet another question - bibliographical rather
than otherwise. An essay ("Za chistotu iazyka," Zvezda, 1953) I have
been using in my dissertation research quotes Gorky in respect to
the "purity" of language: "Neosporimaya tsennost' dorevoliutsionnoi
literatury ...  v to, chto , nachinaia s Pushkina, nashi klassiki
otobrali iz rechevogo khaosa
naibolee rochnie, iarkie, veskie slova i sozdali tot 'velikii
prekrasnii
iazyk', sluzit' dalneishemu razvitii kotorogo Turgebev umolial L'va
Tol'stogo." ... "podlinno literaturnyi iazyk,i khotia ego cherpali iz
rechevogo iazyja trudovykh mass, on rezko otlichaetsia iz rechevoi
stikhii
vse sluchainoe, vremennoe, isporchennoe, kapriznoe i foneticheski
iskazhennoe, ne sovpadaiuschee po razlichnym prichinam s osnovnym
dukhom,
ie. stroem obscheplemennogo iazyka."
I believe I did find the quote, once: but I may be mistaken and at any
rate, cannot find it any more. (The text in question, by N. Lezhnev,
doesn't cite much.) Would anyone happen to know where do the quotations
(whether or not from a single text) come from? And secondly, are there
cultural/ literary histories focusing specifically on
the "normalisation"
of language in the First Writers' Congress time?

I feel I should apologise again for not knowing: but if any of you had
suggestions nonetheless, I would be most thankful.
Sincerely yours,
Simon Krysl