Bakhtin's Sozertsatel' -- "Contemplator" -- ???

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at BUFFALO.EDU
Thu Jul 10 13:46:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Benjamin Sher wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> May I ask for help from Bakhtin scholars out there?
>
> Please look at the last part of the quote below: how has
> "sozertsatel'" been translated by Bakhtin's English translators? Is
> there one standard translation or a number of them?
> "Contemplator" simply does not make sense in English. What's
> the general consensus?

> …«Sozertsatel'» (potrebitel') tem samym iavliaetsia konstitutivnym
> momentom iskusstva."

Not counting myself among Bakhtin scholars, I'd like to mention that I
think that "user" (in contemporary meaning, i.e., "software user," "end
user") fits very well the meaning of "sozertsatel'" in the given context.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at buffalo.edu>