Dostoevsky Article

Chuck Arndt chuckarndt at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 18 19:05:39 UTC 2003

Dear SEELANGERS,

I am a graduate student who is trying to find an
article by Fyodor Dostoevsky that I recall reading,
forget to write down, and now realize would be quite
useful for my research.  I believe the article is in
"A Writer's Diary."  In it, Dostoevsky recalls
receiving a letter from one of his readers (I do not
believe it was anyone of renown), in which the latter
asks him why he is not more direct in expressing his
ideas (I believe it was his ideas on religion).  To be
a tad more precise, I believe the reader first praises
Dostoevsky for his recent directness and asks him why
he was not as direct in expressing his religious ideas
in the past.  Dostoevsky's response offers some
interesting insights into why he rarely states some of
his ideas outright.

I realize that this description is very inexact, but
if anyone could point me to the year and month of this
article (I imagine it may be a letter) I would be most
grateful.

Thanking everyone in advance.

Sincerely,

Charles Arndt