CYRILLIC FONT PROBLEMS

Kjetil Rå Hauge k.r.hauge at EAST.UIO.NO
Sat Jul 19 07:54:16 UTC 2003

>Larry has been using the old QWERTY keyboard layout that came with the
>old Apple Cyrillic Language Kit (I mean OLD).  It had the Russian flag
>icon with the tiny diamond shape embedded into it.

The resources for the layout could be extracted from the system file
of the old computer. First, make a copy of any keyboard file. Next,
with ResEdit (<http://www.mac.org/utilities/resedit/>), find a KCHR
resource in the system file with a name corresponding to that of the
keyboard layout you are looking for.  Copy it into the file, delete
the old KCHR resource and any other old resources in it. Check the ID
number of the KCHR resource in the system file and find kcs# and kcs4
resources with the same ID number. Copy them into the file as well,
save file with ".rsrc" extension and put it into Library/Fonts.

>The alternative is scary:  It means that all the documents created with
>the old qwerty keyboard may need to be remapped.  If this isn't
>possible, or if there aren't any converter programs which understand
>the old qwerty layout then all the old documents may be useless!  Also,
>it means having to learn a new layout.

If the documents are written with Apple Cyrillic FONTS, they should
still be readable under OS X. If there are problems, try to save as
rtf. If you see only underscores when opening the documents, try to
select all and choose Times CY or some other CY font.

If you prefer to redesign the layout, you will find links to
utilities in Alan Wood's excellent Unicode pages:
<http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/utilities.html>.
--
--- Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo. Tel. +47/22856710, fax +47/22854140
--- (this msg sent from home, +47/67148424, fax +1/5084372444)