Dostoevsky quote

Svetlana Grenier greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Tue Jun 17 20:42:47 UTC 2003

Dear SEELANGERS!

I need your help!  In Aileen M. Kelly's book Toward Another Shore: Russian Thinkers between Necessity and Chance (Yale Univ. Press, 1998), on p. 325, the author quotes the following words of Dostoevsky (in connection with the suicide of Herzen's daughter Liza), which supposedly come from his notebooks for Dnevnik Pisatelia for 1876-77.  I start with the words preceding the actual quote:

He [D.] remarks that even though she was brought up in a household where the question of God was never discussed, one would expect Herzen's daughter to have inherited some of her father's spiritual qualities.  The problem that puzzles him is how a man of such talent, "a thinker and a poet, . . . could not have passed on to this suicide anything. . . of his passionate love of life, that life which he so treasured, valued so hightly, and in which he so deeply believed. . . . Of course, she did not have her deceased father's convictions, his aspirations and his faith in them, otherwise she
would not have destroyed herself.  It is unthinkable even to imagine that so passionate a believer as Herzen could have killed himself."

The footnote directs the reader to vol. 83 of Literaturnoe Nasledstvo, p. 86--but I don't find anything like the above words there.  Does anyone know where these words actually come from or how I could find them? (I have already looked rather thoroughly through the notebooks for DW in vol. 24 of PSS but did not find that quote; perhaps I missed it?)

Thank you all in advance!!

Svetlana

--
Svetlana Slavskaya Grenier