Etymology of "intelligentsiya"

Dennis Joffe dennisjoffe at BEZEQINT.NET
Fri Jun 20 17:06:00 UTC 2003

To Michael Katz:

As far as we can judge from the term's own (diachronic) history (including Martin Malia's penetrating study),
the being of "intelligent" in Russian way of understanding, relies mainly on Berdiaev 's fundamental meditative understanding.

Berdiaev had warned not to identify the "Russian intelligent" with "Western inellectual".

Russian intelligent must, therefore, be:

1) Opposed in his orientation to the Governmental Establishment
2) Must be not a "physical labour worker" and be well educated especially in the ways of "public" personal modes of behaviour..

As for today - modern definitions of it - the "Russian intelligent" must be well aware of certain codes of "dignified" cultural behavior.
Today "collective conscience" of "intelligent" as a term is more a matter of "proper behaviour", than of political or social orientation.

I hope that helps somehow,

Dennis Joffe
Haifa University.