Khrushchev's words and his shoe banging

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at BUFFALO.EDU
Wed May 7 19:06:10 UTC 2003

I am surprised if there was no banging. Not just because I have never
heard about brandishing a shoe, but because there is no meaning that could
be associated with brandishing a shoe in the Russian culture. As to
banging, then it is simply a way of interruption.
Did Khrushchev mean to bang using his shoe but used only his hand?
The idea was to make a loud noise, and the shoe would be a better tool,
and we know that it was in (the) hand. So, logically, brandishing a shoe
does not sound right; however, the facts often do not follow any logic.

Regarding Natalia Samoilova's comment on Khrushchev's interpretation of
kuz'kina mat' expression, I think that it is correct. My understanding is
that it simply means that somebody plans to show much more than was ever
expected from him/her, and to be proud of it. This does not exclude that
"more" might mean something quite threatening.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at buffalo.edu>