Khrushchev's words and his shoe banging

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu May 8 16:46:24 UTC 2003

>> I remember my grandfather telling me that in
>> one May day speech he said "Esli by idei Marksa da maslom pomazat'..." That
>> statement also did not make it into print.
>A wonderful phrase, but can you say a little more about the intended
>meaning?  Was Kh. implying that Marx's ideas are too rigid and need to be
>treated flexibly?

I doubt he thought the theory through. I think the idea was that Marxist
ideas are good, but they do not feed the country.

>> Some stuff he said caught on. I
>> remember our grammar teacher quoting Khrushchev "a ja, desushaka, eshche
>> porot' budu."

Sorry, bad typo: dedushka. A ja dedushka eshche porot' budu. In this case
as if he was asking some young kid why he was sewing crooked, and the boy'a
answer was that he still intended to undo the seems. That was during one of
Khrushchev's campains against shabby workmanship.

There were many other less funny campains.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016