Query: Rhyderich; Chapel of Fan

Tom Priestly tom.priestly at UALBERTA.CA
Sat May 10 19:30:00 UTC 2003

"Rh" is the spelling for the aspirated /hr/; "ch" is the spelling for
the voiceless velar fricative, IPA /x/.
So: Rhyderch, in a Russian transcription close to the original
pronunciation, would be
"Khriderkh" and this would sound *almost* like Welsh.

I can not be definite about "Chapel of Fan", since this is two-thirds
in English to start with. The Welsh "fan" can mean 1. place and 2.
mountain, and "fân" means 3. small; of the three, "Chapel of the
Mountain" is most likely but is still only a guess. "Chapel of Fan"
sounds odd because one would expext an article - "Chapel of the Fan"
- unless "Fan" is a proper name. It is  not however the name of any
Welsh town or village in my "Map book of Wales", and is not a
well-known Christian name.

Pob hwyl! = vsego khoroshego!
Tom

>Dear SEELANGers,
>How should I spell the Welsh name Rhyderch in Russian?
>
>Let me also ask one more question: what does the "Chapel of Fan" mean?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Anna

Tom Priestly
9215-69 Street