encoding

Glenn Thobe thobe at LAFN.ORG
Wed May 14 17:39:35 UTC 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 12:14:00PM -0400, Richard Robin wrote:
> However, question marks are almost always a sign of stuff that originated in
> Unicode and somehow went through a server or mailer that couldn't handle it.
> Unfortunately, question marks are like Humpty Dumpty. Once you see questions
> marks, you can't put the Cyrillic back together again. It has already been
> trashed.
>
> -Rich

I can't answer the question of how to configure your OS and mailer (MUA) to
properly compose and send e-mail containing cyrillic text, but I will say that
whatever encoding you use, there is a Content-Type line in your mail header that
tells the reader's mailer what encoding to expect.

When I see gibberish or question marks where I expect to see cyrillic, there is
invariably a conflict between the character set declared and the one actually
used.  Sometimes I can recover the text by editing the charset attribute on the
receiving end.  I hope this helps.

-Glenn Thobe
<thobe at lafn.org>