reasons to maintain a program

Becky Post beckpost at CENTURYTEL.NET
Sun May 18 11:30:14 UTC 2003

The high school Russian program in La Crosse, WI. was going to be cut this
year.  One thing I menioned in my letter urging them to not cut it was the
fact that the US and Russia are partners in space exploration.   A student
who studied Russian in one of our high schools is planning to become an
astronaut and is now in a university program studying toward that end.  I
was told, after they decided to reinstate the program, that this had been a
compelling argument.   Another thing that helped was that we have a strong
sister city relationship with a city in Russia and people from that
organization came forward to argue on behalf of continuing the program.   We
have serious budget problems in our state, however, and that affects all the
schools.   I'm not sure how much longer our Russian program will survive.

Becky Post
La Crosse, WI.