Russian WWII film list

Lina Bernstein lina.bernstein at FANDM.EDU
Tue May 27 14:43:04 UTC 2003

Another film to add to the list is Zhenya, Zhenechka i katiusha,
written by Okudzhava, I believe. LB

>Thanks to everyone who provided recommendations for Russian films about
>WWII.  Following is a listing of these films, books, and articles.
>
>Russian films:
>Come and see, Idi i smotri, E. Klimov, 1985.
>Fall of Berlin, Padenia Berlina, M. Andzhaparidze, et al, 1950.
>Cranes are flying, Letyat zhuravli, Kalatozov, 1957.
>Ballad of a soldier, Ballada o soldate, Chkhrai, 1959.  A young war
>hero receives a short leave to see his mom back home.
>Ivan's childhood / My name is Ivan, Ivanovo detstvo, Tarkovsky, 1962.
>Mesto vstrechi izmenit nelzya, G. Yegiazarov, 1972.  After Yu.
>Bondarev's novel of the same name about the Stalingrad battle.
>Farewell boys, Do svidaniya mal'chiki, M. Kalik.
>Zavtra byla voina, Yu. Kara, 1987.  After the novel by the same title
>by B. Vasil'ev.
>A zori zdes' tikhie, 1972.  After a story by B. Vasilyev of the same
>name.  Story of  girl anti-aircraft gunners.
>Ya russkij soldat, 1995.  Based on B. Vasil'ev's story "V spiskakh ne
>znachilsya."
>Proverka na dorogakh, A. German, 1971 (1985).
>Dvadtsat' dnei bez voiny, after a play of the same name by Simonov.
>Khronika pikirueshchego bombardirovshchika (about dive-bomber pilots),
>N. Birman, 1967.
>Ascent, Voskhozhdenie, L. Shepit'ko, after "Sotnikov" by V. Bykau, 1976.
>TV series after V. Panova's "Sputniki."
>Osvobozhdenie, Yu. Ozerov, 1970-1972, 5-film series:  Ognennaya duga;
>Proryv; Napravlenie glavnogo udara; Bitva za Berlin; and Poslednij
>shturm.  Many actors took part in this series including V. Shukshin.
>Normandie-Neman, about the French air brigade fighting on the Soviet
>front and receiving the second name "Neman" after the Belorussian
>river, because of the role the brigade played in the 1944 battles in
>Byelorussia, 1960.
>Mashen'ka, Yu. Raizman, 1942 (note the release date -- film was a big
>success down all over the country).
>No greater love, Ona zashchishchaet rodinu, Ermler, 1943 (available at
>Stanford U. library).
>Sekretar' raikoma, Pyr'ev, 1942.
>Boevye kinosborniki, assorted directors, assorted studios, 1942.
>Oni srazhalis' za rodinu, 1975, S. Bondarchuk, after M. Sholokhov's
>novel of the same name.  Another appearance for V. Shukshin.
>
>Not Russian:
>Ich war neunzehn (I was 19), DEFA studios, East Germany.  19-year-old
>German boy who had relocated with his family to Russia comes back to
>Germany as part of the Soviet troops.  Coming of age.  National
>identity.
>
>English-language documentaries:
>Russian front, 1999.  Four-part box set.  VHS.  Amazon. $59.95.
>Battle of Stalingrad, VHS, $18.49.  Amazon.  French documentary from
>the 1960s with interviews of battle's survivors.
>
>Books:
>Film propaganda, Richard Taylor.
>The Russian context, Genevra Gerhart.
>Kino:  A history of Russian and Soviet film, J. Leyda.
> [...]

Lina Bernstein, Chair                                   Phone: (717) 291-4024
Department of German and Russian         FAX:   (717) 291-4352
Franklin & Marshall College              e-mail L_Bernstein at Acad.FandM.edu
Lancaster, PA 17604-3003
USA

522 W. Chestnut Street                  Phone: 717-399-7293
Lancaster, PA 17603                             e-mail
L_Bernstein at Acad.FandM.edu